Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Through a Druid's Eyes: Humble Beginnings


A path has cleared in front of me. A path running concurrently beside my current path. It is a path in the forest of my life. Full of light and dark. I decide to take this path as well as maintaining my adherence to the path I have been following. I take my first steps. I am now on the path of the druid.

Rabbi Hillel the Elder had a great quote about not doing unto others what you would not have them do to you. The rest he said was commentary. Then he gave the order to now go study!  Wise words even today. And as a total newbie to the Path of Druidry it seemed particularly good advice for me to follow.
I decided to explore this path about a month ago after having a very vivid dream of my departed father speaking the one word to me — Druid. It was out of left field. Although I had been given signs for some time that I would have a spiritual shakeup I never dreamed it would be this. I was happy with my 12 year path of Asatru. Happy but admittedly not totally fulfilled. Since I believe strongly in UPGs I took this message seriously. I was admittedly uneducated about this tradition. Time for me to find out.
  Not being one to take spiritual matters laying down I got at it post haste. First stop the Internet. I discovered several Druid organizations. After doing some research on them all I decided to join Ar nDraiocht Fein. The ADF seemed the group most dedicated to creating an atmosphere of 21st century Druidry. I believe the most honest and creative and therefore most spiritually rewarding path for me is one focused on the here and now. I find value in ancient ways but do not believe that the ways of the past are the only valid ones. I like my spirituality to live and breathe and have flesh filling it out. Not one for staying stuck in stuffy old lore I find it more valuable to keep my eyes firmly focused forward.

But I realized I needed a footing in the Lore. I started reading the tales of the ancient Celts. I also started reading books on the practice of Druidry. I settled on three primary books. The Path of Druidry, Celtic Golden Dawn and the ADFs book Our Own Druidry. Between the three there is a balance of experiential and focused ritual. I have found I need both to make me happy.
So that’s where I stand. Reading lots. Learning lots. Experiencing ritual in new ways. A month into it I have to say I’m hooked. I understand it’s a lifelong journey I’m undertaking. But I am ready to meet the challenges.
Kurt Hoogstraat
https://druidmusings.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment